Discovering the Learning Process

My background is in secondary school education. After my daughter was born in 2006 I became fascinated with how young children learn. Her early exploration with objects including watching, touching and putting everything in her mouth. Through these explorations she learned how to crawl, walk, and talk. Her process of learning has led to my own discoveries in learning - how other learn and how I learn. This blog is a way to share and work through my discoveries about learning.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Moon Journal

For the past week and a half Ella and I have been watching the moon to see if it was "growing up or growing down." See previous post. Ella wanted to make a Moon Journal - so we did. She drew pictures of the moon and I wrote down her observations. Here is her moon journal below.


It was really fun to watch her the few days before the moon really was full because every day she would say, "I think it is full tonight." But then the next day, her excitement a little bigger, she would say "It is full Momma!" And then on 1/8 when the moon really was full she said, almost screaming, "It is whole! I thought yesterday it was whole."

I had a lot of fun doing this observation/experiment with Ella. It was totally directed by her and even though it was multiple days of observation, it held her interest and curiosity. I am hoping we can continue so we can see an entire moon cycle.

As I was engaging in this with Ella, I couldn't help but think about the state of science education in our K-12 schools in San Francisco and beyond. How do we change the conversation and practice in science education to be one that explores student curiosity in the world instead of memorization of facts?

1 comment: